The best time to shop for a cheap generator is when you don’t need any. If you wait until a storm comes your way or during an area-wide power outage, generator deals will be difficult if not impossible to find. However, usually, as long as you shop ahead of time, you will get loads of excellent deals for the best portable generators. Whether you want a generator for a storm-related outage, have power for equipment and lights at a work site, to use with an RV, or for tailgating, camping, or other recreational activities, you can meet any requirement. Can find excellent generator deals to complete. When there is already electricity, do not try to find cheap generators. We have listed the best generator deals available for the different types of uses listed below. We will update this post regularly with the cheapest generators, so check back often.
Today’s best generator deals
Sportsman 4,000 / 3,500-watt gasoline powered portable generator – $ 279, Was $ 369
Sportsman 2,200 / 1,800-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator – $ 499, Was $ 739
Duracell PowerSource 1800 Watt Gasless Generator and Portable Power Station – $ 600, Was $ 700
Sportsman 7,500 / 6,000-Watt Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator – $ 749, Was $ 940
Pulsar Products G450RN Portable Inverter Generator – $ 750, Was $ 800
Generac 7129 GP3000i Inverter Generator – $ 752Was $ 999
Sportsman 8,750 / 7,000-watt Dual Fuel Digital Inverter Generator – $ 1,249, Was $ 1,778
How to choose a generator
When you shop for a portable generator during an emergency you lose more than just a chance for a good deal on a cheap generator. There are many types, sizes, and optimal applications for generators and if you shop or have already failed when an electricity threatens, then you have to take what you can find, which is the best option for your needs. Not possible. Assuming you have time to shop for the right type of generator deals, keep the following factors in mind.
- Your primary requirement – Are you shopping for portable generators for tailgate parties and camping? If so, you can move away from a relatively small, lightweight and inexpensive portable power station. If you want more power for additional electrical appliances and equipment, a small gasoline or propane-fuel generator may be sufficient to trick a generator, to hook up a power device, or RV, to a workplace. If all you really need is a generator for a backup power supply to operate the appliances and lights needed for your home, look for a large portable generator with a running power rating of 7,000 watts or more. Portable generators with 20,000 watts and up can supply enough power for a small home, but portability at that size is relatively limited. The best current solution for long-term whole-house energy backup is a full-house generator, connected to your road by supplying natural gas fuel. Whole-house generators, however, cost an average of $ 10,000 to $ 30,000, including installation, and are beyond the scope of this designation.
- How much capacity do you really need? – The trick to selecting portable generators with the right capacity is buying enough but not too much. One way to estimate capacity is to add the power draw of everything that operates at the same time and then add 20% to 50% to peak power demand, when the devices start and There is enough power to hook an extra device or two. It is okay to buy twice the amount of electricity you need, but be prepared to sacrifice portability and pay more for a generator and fuel to run it.
- fuel type – Small power stations based on lithium ion or lead acid batteries are limited to short duration applications. Someday home power storage batteries connected to solar or wind power sources may be common, but today most home generators are the rule, and most portable units run on gasoline or propane. Dual fuel units add convenience, but in either case it is necessary to have fuel on hand. When gas stations and propane suppliers are shut down, you will not find a gas or propane-powered generator to buy fuel.
- Generator or inverter generator In general, generators are cheaper and vigorous than inverters, but most generators also run at full power. A generator running at full capacity speeds uses more fuel than an inverter that accommodates demand. Because they do not run excessively or loudly, the inverter can last longer on the same amount of fuel and the inverter can disturb you compared to noisy neighbors and regular generators. Inverter generators cost more than regular generators, however.
- Portability – Most small power stations, generators and inverter generators usually have handles so you can lift them to carry or move. Large portable generators often have two or four wheels and a handle to pull or pull them. If you buy a large portable generator, enough wheels and tires make the difference.
- The relation – Different classes of generators or backup power supplies have different connectors and connection requirements. A portable power station may have one or two 120V plugs for small devices and a USB port to recharge lights and devices. Generators for RVs typically have a covered 30 or 50 amp RV port that connects to the matching port found on most RVs with a special cable. If you are going to use a generator for home backup power, there are many options in complexity, convenience, capacity, and cost. It is certainly possible to connect directly to equipment from a domestic generator using cable but is limited and potentially dangerous due to potential cable fires. Transfer boxes, interlocks, and generlinks are better options for generator-to-home electrical power connections, but they are subject to local building codes and require installation by a licensed electrician. Those connections are beyond the scope of this article, but if you are shopping for enough generators for home power backup, it is an excellent idea to talk to an electrician first to learn about local connection options and installation costs.
- Cost – The more electricity you have to spend, the more money you will need. While this statement is accurate, it is not the whole story because safety and convenience factors can also affect the price (see above inverter and in-house connections). When you are searching for the best cheap generator deals, the best way to save is to analyze your needs before making a purchase so that you can find the right generator type and capacity for your needs.
can earn commissions on products purchased through our link, which supports the work we do for our readers.